Highlighter or blacklight parties can be a lot of fun! Everyone shows up to the party wearing a plain white t-shirt or long sleeve shirt and jeans or other dark pants they don’t mind getting highlighter on. Everyone is given a highlighter or multiple highlighters that will be theirs to use throughout the night. The blacklights around the room make the highlighter glow brightly, hence the highlighter & blacklight party!
During the party everyone has the opportunity to write on other peoples shirts. It’s good to have guidelines for guests so you don’t have things that you wouldn’t want to show your parents at the end of the night. Generally people end up drawing on everything so it’s better to do it in a place that can be easily cleaned and the walls wiped down.
At the end of the night everyone has their own unique highlighter shirt to take home with their own bit of artwork. Blacklight parties produce great pictures of everyone glowing at the end of the night and is definitely a lot of fun for a sweet sixteen party!
Highlighter Party Decorations:
- Highlighters (plan on 2 per person) *TIP* Yellow, Orange, Pink and Green work best
- Guests will need to bring white shirts or you can provide them (it’s easier to have guests bring them and have a few backups just in case someone forgets)
These are cheap enough where it’s better to buy your own for the party. You can make a most medium sized rooms glow with 4-6 of these lights. You can place them around the room for maximum glow effect. The one pictured is 6ft long, these are standard and work the best! Remember to have enough extension cables!
Examples of glow things are glow sticks, necklaces, neon colored clothes, tide, anything white. These will look awesome throughout the night and will help make your party really stand out.
Little known fact that Tide and other laundry detergents actually shine under blacklight. You can draw on walls or garbage bags that you can cut and put on the walls to come up with designs that will show up once the party starts. If you cover a room in trash bags and then put tide on them it makes clean up a snap at the end of the night.
If you take plastic 2 liter bottles, clean them out, and use clear ones you can put the inside of a highlighter into the bottle and fill it up with water. Wait a day and shake it and the resulting liquid will glow very very bright under blacklight. These can be very cool centerpieces and it’s a great way to recycle everyone’s old bottles.
Anything neon, white or with a bright color works well because it will glow under the blacklight.
Highlighter Party Tips
- Make sure you have enough blacklights ((1) 6ft blacklight for every 25ft of wall length in a room) and a dark room to make sure you can keep everything glowing.
- Make sure you have enough highlighters (2 per person)
- Make sure you have sponges/cleaning supplies to clean things afterwards
- Don’t eat the highlighters:)
- You can color your hair with highlighters
- Make sure you have good music or a good highlighter party DJ
These parties can be a blast! They aren’t too expensive and you and your friends get to express their creativity and individuality! It’s cool to glow at night and if you have the right music it can really be a fun time. The sky is the limit!